Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas Cake Pops

Cake Pops have been all the rage lately.  After making my Turkey Cake Pops I thought it would be fitting to make cake pops for Christmas.  I did some Googling to see what everyone else has been making and found Christmas Trees, Snowmen, Santa Hats and Reindeer.  So I couldn't pick just one and decided to try them all out.  The Christmas Trees & Santa Hats were made with carrot cake.  The Snowmen and Reindeer were made with white cake.

 I made my own stars by melting some yellow candy discs with oil.  Then I put them in a piping bag with a cake decorating tip - #5 I think it was.  Then I let them harden.  I got my candy cane sprinkles at Michaels and my "snowflake" sprinkles at Jewel-Osco.  I dipped my trees in green then added my star followed by my sprinkles.  I loved how they turned out.
 The snowmen I made are different from the ones I had seen.  I went down a few aisles of cookies and candy to figure out what items I could use to help me make my snowmen.  The hats are Rolo candies dipped in red chocolate candy and then placed on a Keebler Grasshopper cookie.  I added a snowflake sprinkle that I got from Michaels.  The eyes and mouth are made with mini chocolate chips.  The nose is part of an orange Mike and Ike candy.
 Here is a close up.
 Another view of the hats.
 The Santa Hats were super simple.  I dipped them in red and let them harden.  Then I dipped the top and the edges of the bottom in white chocolate to give them the appearance of fur.
 Another view of the hats.
 And finally, the reindeer cake pops.  I used white cake for these and the snowmen.  I dipped the reindeer in chocolate and added a pretzel, red M&M candy and 2 mini chocolate chips for eyes.  The pretzel was the hardest part because when I tried to cut them they kept breaking oddly.
 A close up.
 And all 41 cake pops that I made initially.  I made 95 more a day later.  So 136 cake pops in all were made.
 Another view.
 Here are the cake pops bagged and ready to be eaten.
I made these for my husband's family and my family for Christmas.  I also have plenty left for sending to family and friends and for our neighbors.  Not sure what I'm going to do next year. I might have to return to my cookie baking.  I was a little disappointed in not being able to bake cookies but these turned out great!  I just didn't have enough time to make cookies too.  Oh well.  Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment